OK! Now that I've taken a little blogging hiatus...I'm ready to try to catch up to the present...someday. Here we are at the entrance to the ancient Roman ruins. I am clearly a beautiful flying goddess and Rob...well he was was supposed to be flexing. He really was a good sport most of the time and would pose or smile for me despite his strong dislike of me taking a million and two photos
The Colosseum was amazing. It is grandious and the history is fasinating. I tried to learn as much as I could while I was there and yet I know that I just barely scratched the surface of this iconic symbol of Imperial Rome.
Here is a snipit from Wikipedia "Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. As well as the gladiatorial games, other public spectacles were held there, such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine. It has been estimated that about 500,000 people and over a million wild animals died in the Colosseum games. "
We also went to the Pantheon. It was built as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome and is still almost two thousand years after it was built, the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. What is amazing about Rome is everywhere you look there is a massive, ancient, historical monument. It's just incredible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Wow! What an amazing trip!! I'm sure it was worth all the crazy pix to Rob as well!!
Post a Comment